Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Help/congratulations

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Help/congratulations
Message from zilazila posted on 19-11-2018 at 06:22:53 (D | E | F)
Hello
Would you please tell me what the difference between congratulation and congratulations is?
In advance thank you.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-11-2018 09:35

Re: Help/congratulations from nongprue, posted on 19-11-2018 at 10:34:04 (D | E)
Hello zilazila
At first, you should know that "congratulations" is always used as noun, and more common than the singular "congratulation" then "Congratulations" (plural) when used as an interjection.
Lots of congratulations! (plural)
You are sending something of congratulation.
"Thank you for your words of congratulation" (singular)or "to say to someone congratulation on something (singular)
But
My congratulations on your graduation. (the same as in French)
You send your congratulations.(plural) You send a telegram of congratulation.(singular)
Did you pass your driving tests? - Yes I got my license - Congratulations! (interjection = plural)
Or "Congrats"
Here is above what I know about.
I hope it helps.
It is down to "C" levels, to agree with my explanation or not.
Greetings to the whole forum.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-11-2018 14:24

Re: Help/congratulations from gerondif, posted on 19-11-2018 at 17:18:21 (D | E)
Hello
I seem to see this word in the plural when it is an interjection : Congratulations ! Cheers ! Best wishes !
I haven't met it much in the singular.

Re: Help/congratulations from zilazila, posted on 20-11-2018 at 08:28:34 (D | E)
Hello,
I thank you so very much for your reply.

Re: Help/congratulations from nongprue, posted on 20-11-2018 at 09:43:55 (D | E)
Hello zilazila, hello gérondif, hello everybody
Yes, the singular exists.
You have not met it, because as I explained to you "congratulations" is always used as noun, and more common than the singular".
As an interjection the plural is imperatively required.
I found this question interesting, and remained without any answer.
If I can share what I know, I do it with great pleasure.

"I sent a letter of congratulation on their wedding" is correct but you would most likely never meet it.
I'll add that this is a very British expression.
The Americans like repeatedly to use informal expressions.
"Congrats".
I enjoy talking to them at the "club" because they are very friendly.
Kind regards.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux