Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Texte à compléter/aide

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Texte à compléter/aide
Message de janus07 posté le 03-06-2013 à 21:53:16 (S | E | F)
Bonsoir,

je m'entraine en faisant certains exercices d'anglais, et je suis tombé sur un texte "à trou" où j'ai eu un peu de mal même s'il peut sembler bête. Je mettrai les passages que j'ai complétés en souligné (l'on doit soit conjuguer un verbe donné, soit -pour un vide sans indications- ajouter un mot quelconque).
Merci d'avance de votre aide.

"I arrived in England three days ago. I'm staying (j'hésite avec le présent simple) with a family in a suburb of York. They're really nice. Mr Jones works in York. Mrs Jones has just a baby, so she's not working at the moment. I didn't ask her what she does yet, but I think she's an accountant.
I'm having (encore cette hésitation avec le présent simple) a good time here, but everything is very expensive. Yesterday, I took the train to York to do some sightseeing. Something really embarrassing happened while i was there. After I had visited (hésitation avec preterit) the Viking Museum, i decided to do some shopping. Earlier in the day, i had seen (même remarque...) a beautiful sweater in a department store, so i went back // (je ne sais pas quel mot mettre) but it (la fin de la phrase est très bizarre, une faute de frappe avec "buy it?"). The shop assistant was putting it into a bag when I realized that I forgot my purse with my credit card! So unfortunately, i couldn't buy it after all.

Anyway, after that I went to York Minster. I had never seen such a beautiful cathedral in my life. It was built between 1200 and 1470. While i was walking back to the station, I met Franck. I haven't heard from him for over a year. When i last saw him, he was working in a bank. Now he's studying English here.
That's all for today! I will see you when i'm back to France.
Claudia"

-------------------
Modifié par janus07 le 03-06-2013 21:53

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 03-06-2013 22:16
On écrit I, pas i pour traduire je.

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de gerondif, postée le 03-06-2013 à 23:13:00 (S | E)
Bonsoir,
'I arrived in England three days ago. I'm staying (ok) with a family in a suburb of York. They're really nice. Mr Jones works in York. Mrs Jones has just had a baby, so she's not working at the moment. I didn't ask her what she does yet,(avec not yet, mettre du present perfect ) but I think she's an accountant.
I'm having (ok) a good time here, but everything is very expensive. Yesterday, I took the train to York to do some sightseeing. Something really embarrassing happened while i was there. After I had visited (ok mais before/after/while+ing simple)hésitation avec preterit) the Viking Museum, i decided to do some shopping. Earlier in the day, i had seen (ok) a beautiful sweater in a department store, so i went back to buy it . The shop assistant was putting it into a bag when I realized that I forgot (plus que parfait)my purse with my credit card! So unfortunately, I couldn't buy it after all.

Anyway, after that I went to York Minster. I had never seen such a beautiful cathedral in my life. It was built between 1200 and 1470. While i was walking back to the station, I met Frank. I haven't heard (plus que parfait) from him for over a year. When i last saw him, he was working in a bank. Now he's studying English here.
That's all for today! I will see you when i'm back (to indique un mouvement to be indique une position) to France.
Claudia'

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 04-06-2013 08:50
Rouge transformé en autre couleur, merci

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 04-06-2013 à 17:09:20 (S | E)
Bonjour

"I arrived in England three days ago. I'm staying with a family in a suburb of York. They're really nice. Mr Jones works in York. Mrs Jones has just a baby, so she's not working at the moment. I didn't ask her what she does yet, but I think she's an accountant. Parfait

I'm having a good time here, but everything is very expensive. Yesterday, I took the train to York to do some sightseeing. Something really embarrassing happened while i was there. Parfait

After I had visited(prétérit simple) the Viking Museum, i decided to do some shopping. Earlier in the day, i had seen a beautiful sweater in a department store, so i went back //(on peut mettre "..back there to buy..", ou simplement "..back to buy.." comme l'infinitif d'acheter) buy it(la fin de la phrase est très bizarre, une faute de frappe avec "buy it?" oui, cela doit être le cas). The shop assistant was putting it into a bag when I realized that I forgot(prétérit parfait) my purse with my credit card! So unfortunately, i couldn't buy it after all.

Anyway, after that I went to York Minster. I had never seen such a beautiful cathedral in my life. It was built between 1200 and 1470. While i was walking back to the station, I met(peut-être autre mot) Franck. I haven't heard from him for(autre préposition, et je crois que cela devrait être "I hadn't heard from him ..")over a year. When i last saw him, he was working in a bank. Now he's studying English here.
That's all for today! I will see you when i'm back to France. ("back 'to' France" me semble dire "when I'm coming back to France" qui faut changer la phrase devant à une autre phrase comme "I will tell you". Sinon, cela devrait être "when I'm back in France")
Claudia"

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de janus07, postée le 04-06-2013 à 22:15:02 (S | E)
Bonjour,

gerondif -> En fait pour "Mrs Jones has just a baby" c'est le texte qui est ainsi je n'y peux rien, mais je trouvais aussi que ça sonnait bizarre.
hushpuppy -> Je ne vois pas quelle autre préposition mettre que "for" pour le dernier paragraphe. En fait à l'origine je ne voyais déjà pas trop quoi mettre. Quelle alternative ai-je?
Je vais essayer de corriger le texte selon vos conseils, n'hésitez pas à dire ce que vous en pensez:

"I arrived in England three days ago. I'm staying with a family in a suburb of York. They're really nice. Mr Jones works in York. Mrs Jones has just a baby, so she's not working at the moment. I haven't asked her what she does yet, but I think she's an accountant.
I'm having a good time here, but everything is very expensive. Yesterday, I took the train to York to do some sightseeing. Something really embarrassing happened while i was there. After I visited the Viking Museum, i decided to do some shopping. Earlier in the day, i had seen a beautiful sweater in a department store, so i went back to buy it. The shop assistant was putting it into a bag when I realized that I had forgotten my purse with my credit card! So unfortunately, i couldn't buy it after all.

Anyway, after that I went to York Minster. I had never seen such a beautiful cathedral in my life. It was built between 1200 and 1470. While i was walking back to the station, I met Franck. I haven't heard from him for over a year. When i last saw him, he was working in a bank. Now he's studying English here.
That's all for today! I will see you when i'll be (????) back to France.
Claudia"

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 04-06-2013 22:49

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de gerondif, postée le 04-06-2013 à 22:56:13 (S | E)
Hello,
1) I en majuscules .
2) Trouvez autre chose que de souligner, le copié-collé ne le prend pas et on passe alors son temps à naviguer entre les deux textes pour vous corriger. Moins maintenant que tout est juste ou presque mais bon.....
3) Dommage de devoir redonner les mêmes corrections.Je les mets en rose pour qu'on les voie mieux,pas par volonté de traumatiser mais parce que le violet m'oblige à faire un effort pour les voir à la relecture.

"I arrived in England three days ago. I'm staying with a family in a suburb of York. They're really nice. Mr Jones works in York. Mrs Jones has just had (c'est un oubli, texte incorrect autrement) a baby, so she's not working at the moment. I haven't asked her what she does yet, but I think she's an accountant.
I'm having a good time here, but everything is very expensive. Yesterday, I took the train to York to do some sightseeing. Something really embarrassing happened while i was there. After I visited (After visiting existe aussi)the Viking Museum, i decided to do some shopping. Earlier in the day, i had seen a beautiful sweater in a department store, so i went back to buy it. The shop assistant was putting it into a bag when I realized that I had forgotten my purse with my credit card! So unfortunately, i couldn't buy it after all.

Anyway, after that I went to York Minster. I had never seen such a beautiful cathedral in my life. It was built between 1200 and 1470. While i was walking back to the station, I met Franck. I haven't heard from him for over a year.(impossible de dire: cela fait un an que je ne l'ai pas vu, " juste après la phrase "I met Frank! Il faut un plus que parfait car c'est antérieur au prétérit "met"!) When i last saw him, he was working in a bank. Now he's studying English here.
That's all for today! I will see you when i'll be (????) back to France.
1) Pas de futur après when dans une circonstancielle de temps.
2) to indique un mouvement,un déplacement, donc employez le verbe GO par exemple.(ou COME, si vous vous situez à la place de votre interlocutrice, mais go est plus logique puisque vous êtes à York en ce moment)

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de janus07, postée le 05-06-2013 à 00:07:42 (S | E)
Je le sais bien pour le temps après when c'était ça qui m'étonnait, je pense qu'on s'est juste mal compris: on me donne dans ce passage le verbe "to be" et à moi de le conjuguer au temps qui convient, je n'ai pas le choix du verbe. Du coup, je suis obligé de mettre "I'm" j'imagine non?

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de gerondif, postée le 05-06-2013 à 00:31:12 (S | E)
Hello,
alors oui, mettez "when I am back to France" mais ça devraît être "when I am back in France" mais bon on comprend quand même.

I am in Paris.
I am at work
I am going to Paris.
Let's go back to work. Cours de base.

Mais on entend:
"I am home!" "I am back home!" alors, "I am back to France" en tirant sur la phrase.....on finira bien par faire du verbe être un verbe de déplacement, à cause du "back".

Pour conclure:
"T'es "to be" et t'es pas un verbe de déplacement ? Non mais allo quoi!"
(Extrait de: La Nouvelle Grammaire selon nbl) (invention pure et humour noir de fin de soirée )

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 02:07:46 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Alors pour la préposition :
Exemple :
"I thought about Franck today, I haven't heard from him for over a year" mais c'est futur progressif : on ne sait pas quand parler à lui, peut-être encore un an, peut-être plus ou moins.
Au contraire, votre texte signifie que vous lui avez juste parlé. Alors :
"I met Franck. I hadn't heard from him in over a year!" C'est dans le passé et on sait bien quand la période de temps a fini.

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de lucile83, postée le 05-06-2013 à 08:45:26 (S | E)
Hello hushpuppy

"I thought about Franck today, I haven't heard from him for over a year" mais c'est futur progressif ...I am sorry, I think it is not future but present perfect.

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de willy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 09:14:03 (S | E)
Hello!

Je voudrais ajouter ceci :

- After I had visited the Viking Museum, I decided to ...:

"Had visited": correct si on insiste sur le fait que l'action a été faite et terminée avant l'action passée qui est exprimée dans la proposition principale..

"Visited": on pense simplement à une succession d'actions passées.

- I hadn't heard from him ...: le past perfect indique que l'action est antérieure à l'action passée exprimée par "I thought".

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 15:58:19 (S | E)
Bonjour Lucile et tous,
Désolée de ne pas être claire. La phrase entière est progressif au futur. "I haven't heard from him for over a year." is said at a point in time where we don't know when, or even if, in the future we will speak with him again. It says that we have not, so it cannot be used right after a sentence that says we just did speak to him.
La raison qu'on peut utiliser "I thought about Franck today, I haven't heard from him for over a year" est car on n'a pas parlé avec lui, seulement "pensé". Therefore, we still don't know when we might speak to him, and "haven't heard" is perfectly reasonable.
"After I visited" is the correct tense, and I agree with Gerondif that "After visiting" is the most common. Otherwise, everything else in the sentence has to be revised :
"After I had visited the Viking Museum, I had decided to do some shopping."
It's heavy and awkward, and we just don't do it. The following sentences can be affected by starting off a topic in the wrong tense, too.
J'espère que c'est plus clair

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de lucile83, postée le 05-06-2013 à 16:21:22 (S | E)
Hello hushpuppy

En fait la confusion vient du mélange des 2 phrases,
"I thought about Franck today..." et "I met Franck...." et que la seule qui nous intéresse ici est
"I met Franck. I hadn't heard from him in over a year!" avec laquelle je suis entièrement d'accord.

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 16:35:19 (S | E)
Bonjour,
D'accord, alors je révise ma réponse
Pour la préposition :
Exemple :
"I haven't heard from him for over a year" est progressif, on ne sait pas quand on parlera avec lui dans le futur, peut-être encore un an, peut-être plus ou moins.
"I met Franck. I hadn't heard from him in over a year!" C'est dans le passé et on sait bien quand la période de temps a fini.

Est-ce mieux ?

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de gerondif, postée le 05-06-2013 à 16:43:56 (S | E)
Hello Hushpuppy!
Come on!!Let go of that bone!! Be a good girl! (joking of course!!)
Yes, that's what we all meant !! pluperfect, anteriority.......

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 16:48:14 (S | E)
Hello Gerondif
Careful, I bite !!
Ok ! cool, merci je veux toujours être claire

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de willy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 16:54:11 (S | E)
Pourquoi écrire "in over a year", qui indique une période de temps dans le futur, alors que la préposition de l'exercice de départ pour exprimer la durée de l'action antérieure est "for over a year" ? La phrase n'a plus de sens !

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 17:03:41 (S | E)
Bonjour willy,
La raison est que le temps a changé aussi, regarde :
"I haven't heard from him for over a year" est progressif, on ne sait pas quand on parlera avec lui dans le futur, peut-être encore un an, peut-être plus ou moins.

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de gerondif, postée le 05-06-2013 à 18:02:22 (S | E)
Hello,
"I met Frank! I hadn't heard from him for a year when I stumbled upon him the other day." seems ok to my ears, though.

I have a feeling that in instead of for is maybe more common in America than it is in Great Britain.

I haven't been working for a year and I am still unemployed. ok

I hadn't been working for a year when I found another job at last. Sounds ok...

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 18:42:05 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Je pense faire un exercice sur le sujet
Tu as déjà utilisé le temps progressif dans tes exemples donc oui, cela va. Ce n'est pas une différence entre les deux pays.
On assume beaucoup dans l'anglais. C'est un point de confusion pour beaucoup de gens qui a une langue maternelle toujours précise.
Tout est différent selon du contexte :
Dans ton exemple en premier, tu as oublié le contexte. Cela devrait être :
"I met Franck! I hadn't heard from him in over a year!"
Ce n'est pas qu'on ne dit jamais "for over a year" ou "in over a year", c'est le contexte qui change le mot.
I knew him for a year (we assume that you were acquaintances for a year, but you didn't know him completely)
I knew him in a year (we assume that you knew him completely within a year, there is nothing more to know)
I mowed the lawn for a year (we assume that you mowed the lawn every week for a year)
I mowed the lawn in a year (we assume that it took you a year to mow the lawn)
I finished the project for two weeks (we assume that you will resume the project after two weeks)
I finished the project in two weeks (we assume that the project is finished, and that it took two weeks to complete)

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de gerondif, postée le 05-06-2013 à 19:39:41 (S | E)
Hello,
ok, I see the differences in your examples, the meanings are different from the problem in the text.

I look at it this way.

He disappeared in 2008.
I haven't seen him since then, since he disappeared, since he got kidnapped or killed.
I would say: I haven't seen him for five years, since he mysteriously disappeared.
You will say:I haven't seen him (once)in five years, since he mysteriously disappeared.

I hadn't seen him for five years when I stumbled upon him.
He had been absent from my life for five years when I stumbled upon him the other day .

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de hushpuppy, postée le 05-06-2013 à 20:04:57 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Lol no, I would say "I haven't seen him for five years, he seems to have disappeared."
And for the other phrases, you have used a qualifier, which, if possible to be used in the context of the beginning text, would make the most sense. But, we can't change the text. Thus, we can't add qualifiers. Thus, I must insist that it is "in" because, just as I have demonstrated with the other sentences, "in over a year" means a term completed, whereas "for over a year", without a qualifier, means that the term could continue. That is the reason "for" is used with "haven't heard" and "in" is used with "hadn't heard" in this context, and I must underline the significance of "in this context".
That is why I gave the example of "I thought about Franck the other day, I haven't heard from him for over a year." (and we assume that you don't know when you will hear from him next)
"I met Franck, I hadn't heard from him in over a year" (we assume that you spoke with him, and the term is ended)
"I met Franck, I hadn't heard from him for over a year" doesn't make sense, we don't have any reason to think that you met him and didn't talk to each other. On the contrary, the following text specifically shows that, indeed, you did speak with him. If it was changed to "saw" and this was someone recounting a memory, "I saw Stéphane, standing on the platform waiting for the train. I didn't have the courage to go up to him, seeing that I hadn't heard from him for five years." (we assume that you didn't speak with him, and the term continues, even though the desire to do so was there)

Réponse: Texte à compléter/aide de notrepere, postée le 05-06-2013 à 20:30:21 (S | E)
Hello

I hate to add mud to the soup...but we must remember the "narration tenses" in English.

The following are examples of narrative tenses:
Past simple - 'We left on a rainy day' Past continuous - 'It was pouring down even at midday' Past perfect - 'It had rained off and on for ten days' Past perfect continuous - 'We had been waiting to escape for what seemed ages'

Lien internet

While I was walking back to the station, I met(1) Franck. I haven't heard from him for over a year.

(1) met is not the correct verb here if we knew him already, which the following sentence indicates. So we need a different verb.

While I was walking back to the station, I ran into Franck. I hadn't(2) heard from him in/for over a year.

Past perfect is obligatory in the narration tenses.

Move along...nothing to see

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux