Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Phrases /thème

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Phrases /thème
Message de vaiana posté le 10-08-2019 à 15:12:40 (S | E | F)
Hello everyone!
Here I am again for a new bunch of translations !!
Can someone briefly help me correct them please? highlighting my mistakes by putting them in blue is sufficient!
I have progressed a lot thanks to that kind of exercise so thanks in advance! :

1) Peu de Français ont émigré aux Etats-Unis au début du XXème siècle.
A few French people emigrated to the US in the beginning of the twentieth century /XXth century.

2) Ce soir-là, ils avaient rencontré une grande femme brune à l’allure étrange.
That very night, they had encountered /they had met a tall brown-haired woman with a strange look/looks.
(I already came across 'looks' with a 'S' so I don't know which one I should use in that context )

3) En hiver, il y a deux fois plus d’ouvriers absents qu’en été.
There are twice as many absent workers in wintertime than in summertime.

4) Moins il y aura de voitures dans le centre des villes, plus la vie sera agréable.
The fewer cars there will be in center of cities, the more enjoyable life is going to be.

5) Tout médecin te dira que tu ferais mieux d’arrêter de fumer.
Each /Every single doctor will tell you that you had better stop smoking /...tell you that you might want to stop smoking.

6) La femme de John et celle de Peter jouent souvent ensemble au tennis.
John's and Peter's wives often play to the tennis together.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 10-08-2019 15:31

Réponse : Phrases /thème de lemagemasque, postée le 10-08-2019 à 20:44:11 (S | E)
Hello!

1) Peu de Français ont émigré aux États-Unis au début du XXème siècle.
A few("a few" = quelques) French people emigrated to the US in the beginning("in the beginning" est employé seul : In the beginning, Jane used to go the gym every Saturday) of the twentieth century /XXth(jamais vu) century.

(On) That (very) night, they had encountered /they had met/come across a tall brown-haired woman with a strange look/looks (à remplacer par un adjectif composé de look et de la traduction de "bizarre" en 3 lettres).
(I (have) already(= retour d'expérience) came across 'looks' with an("an" + son voyelle : an FBI agent) 'S' (oui, vous avez raison : le "look" d'une personne = looks en anglais) so I don't know which one I should use in that context )

There are twice as many absent workers in wintertime than in summertime.

4) Moins il y aura de voitures dans le centre des villes, plus la vie sera agréable.
The fewer cars (there will be) in center of cities("centre des villes = centre-ville"), the more enjoyable life (is going to be; ici "will" et "be going to" sont tous les deux possibles, mais "is going to" signifie qu'il va y avoir un certain temps avant que cela ne soit vrai).

Each /Every single doctor will tell you that you'd better stop smoking /...tell you that you might want to stop smoking (trop poli)

John's and Peter's wives often play to the tennis together.

Bonne soirée !

Réponse : Phrases /thème de vaiana, postée le 10-08-2019 à 21:24:41 (S | E)
Hello! And thank you! Your useful advice allows me to progress!

Few French people emigrated to the US at the beginning of the twentieth century /20th century.

(On) that (very) night, they had encountered /they had met/they had come across a tall brown-haired peculiar woman.
I guess you were talking about the word "odd" but isn't it better to use "peculiar" here?

There are twice as many absent workers in wintertime as in summertime.

The fewer cars (there will be) in downtowns, the more enjoyable life (is going to be).
Why did you put the verbs in parentheses? Is that only doable with the verb "to be"?

Any doctor will tell you that you had better stop smoking /...tell you that you might want to stop smoking.

John's and Peter's wives often play tennis together.

Réponse : Phrases /thème de lemagemasque, postée le 11-08-2019 à 15:18:36 (S | E)
Hello!

Few French people emigrated to the US at the beginning of the twentieth century /20th century.

(On) that (very) night, they had encountered /they had met/they had come across a tall brown-haired peculiar(mal placé) woman.
I guess you were talking about the word "odd" but isn't it better to use "peculiar" here?
Oui , mais je pensais à un adjectif composé.
Peculiar ne va pas ici car ne traduit pas "à l'allure" mais (une femme) "bizarre, particulière". De plus, il est mal placé (on place près du nom les adjectifs factuels). Plus on s'éloigne du nom (= on va à gauche), plus on est subjectif. En conséquence, les adjectifs d'opinion se placent tout à gauche.

There are twice as many absent workers in wintertime as in summertime.

The fewer cars (there will be) in downtowns, the more enjoyable life (is going to be).
Why did you put the verbs in parentheses? Is that only doable with the verb "to be"? Can we do it with other verbs than "to be"?
On aime la concision en anglais. Quand on peut deviner le sujet et le verbe, on les omet le plus souvent, surtout dans les structures parallèles : The more the merrier. Ça marche également avec d'autres verbes : The more cats (she has) the happier (she is).

Any doctor will tell you that you'd better stop smoking /...tell you that you might want to stop smoking.

John's and Peter's wives often play tennis together.

Bonne journée !

Réponse : Phrases /thème de vaiana, postée le 11-08-2019 à 15:40:03 (S | E)
Hello, and thank you!

(On) that (very) night, they had encountered/met/come across an odd-looking tall brown-haired woman.

4) On aime la concision en anglais. Quand on peut deviner le sujet et le verbe, on les omet le plus souvent, surtout dans les structures parallèles : The more the merrier. Ça marche également avec d'autres verbes : The more cats (she has) the happier (she is). THANK YOU!

Any doctor will tell you that you'd better stop smoking /...tell you that you might want to stop smoking.
Why isn't "might want to" right?

You use might to make a suggestion or to give advice in a very polite way. You might want to consider cycling. Lien internet
You might want to spend more time studying and less time playing video games. Lien internet
You might want to sit down for this. Lien internet
You might want to save all your prayers for your driving test tomorrow. Lien internet

See you soon!

Réponse : Phrases /thème de lemagemasque, postée le 11-08-2019 à 15:49:28 (S | E)
Bonjour,

(On) that (very) night, they had encountered/met/come across an odd-looking tall brown-haired woman.

Why isn't "might want to" right?

You use might to make a suggestion or to give advice in a very polite way. You might want to consider cycling. Lien internet
You might want to spend more time studying and less time playing video games. Lien internet
You might want to sit down for this. Lien internet
You might want to save all your prayers for your driving test tomorrow. Lien internet

in a very polite way... "Faire mieux de", c'est quand même que l'on vous conseille fortement de le faire, ce n'est pas un conseil, c'est plutôt un reproche.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux