Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

A question/ tenses

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

A question/ tenses
Message from mohammad51 posted on 02-01-2020 at 23:58:09 (D | E | F)
Hello
Please, could anyone help with this question ?
Thank you in advance.

Do you think I could borrow the book after you .....reading it ?
a. had finished b. finished c. have finished d. will finish
I suggest b Am I right or wrong?
Reasons:
1. The verb finish can be followed by a gerund.
2. I think ( after you have finished reading ) although it has relation to the present time, the action does not seem it is finished, so how if the action is not finished and the process of borrowing can be done ?

Another way I suggest is to convert the sentence as follow:
After you finished reading the book, do you think I could borrow it ? = the process of reading by person A is finished and he can lend the book.
OR : After you finished reading the book, do you think you could lend me it ?
The matter to use the present perfect for a completed action is almost done with ( just)
An action that was completed in the very recent past, expressed by 'just'. I have just finished my work.
----
The matter with ( will finish ) it can be possible as well, because the verb think = the man is not sure and the probability is also expected.
Please help

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 03-01-2020 08:56

Re: A question/ tenses from gerondif, posted on 03-01-2020 at 14:55:10 (D | E)
Hello
Do you think I could borrow the book after you .....reading it ?
a. had finished b. finished c. have finished d. will finish.
Correct answer. C
I will borrow this book from you when/as soon as/after you have finished reading it. I won't borrow it from you until you have finished it.

Re: A question/ tenses from lucile83, posted on 03-01-2020 at 14:56:42 (D | E)
Hello,
Do you think I could borrow the book after you have finished reading it ?
The action 'have finished' comes before the action 'borrow'.
It means: could I borrow your book once you have finished it?

Re: A question/ tenses from lucile83, posted on 03-01-2020 at 14:58:14 (D | E)
Hello gerondif,
We had the same idea... to you ☀️☀️☀️

Re: A question/ tenses from gerondif, posted on 03-01-2020 at 16:18:17 (D | E)
Hello!
Happy New Year to you too! And to our grammar pilgrim Mohammad 51

Re: A question/ tenses from lucile83, posted on 03-01-2020 at 16:49:20 (D | E)
Yes, of course !!!

Re: A question/ tenses from mohammad51, posted on 03-01-2020 at 17:34:50 (D | E)
Happy year to you all
Thank you very much
Indeed I consider it a pilgrim dear teacher gerondif just I know you are here and reply to my questions.
I returned in my opinion and agreed with the perfect( after you have finished reading)
The matter which came up to my mind that all grammar books tell the use of the perfect in most cases is limited to the uncompleted action.
The action obviously appears finished but still results or impacts are found.
So, I refused firstly to use the perfect thinking how someone would give you a book and his reading to the book perhaps is not totally finished. I can say for example: I have been to Europe twice = went and returned home = event done

I have just finished reading the book. OR I have finished reading the book this week. = 100 % recent days finished action.
Lastly and according to tenses sequence I agreed neither past simple nor past perfect is the choice.
So, the only possible one is the present perfect.
-----
#notice I may add
I suggest because he said at the beginning( DO you think I could borrow the book) = the matter is likely he is not sure, so as if to say :

Do you think I could borrow the book after you have finished reading it ? = perhaps you will lend me the book after you have finished reading it. So, it goes under the roof of suggested request either yes or no .
I agree now the perfect is the solution and I am luckily satisfied.

Re: A question/ tenses from gerondif, posted on 03-01-2020 at 17:47:17 (D | E)
Hello,
Stop asking yourself confusing questions.
The system is as follows:
The French guy stays with his two feet on the ground, the ground representing the present, and views future events looking up in the clouds , the clouds representing the future and says the equivalent of : I will open the door when you will ring the doorbell.

This of course is wrong in English because the English guy flies up into the cloud with his first future tense and so the second one is viewed as taking place on the same level. I will open the door when you ring the bell, as soon as you ring the bell, before you ring the bell if I catch sight of you on your way back.

When the second event takes place before the first one, the French guy would say : I will lend you the book when I will have finished it whereas the English guy says : I will lend you the book when I have finished it. He pictures himself in the future, saying to the other chap: It's ok, I have finished this book, you can have it.

Re: A question/ tenses from mohammad51, posted on 03-01-2020 at 21:01:33 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you again dear teacher gerondif
Indeed I am indebted to you.
OK, this is wrong grammar
I will open the door when you will ring the doorbell.
No future in the time of when clause or any clause of time
so, it is okay to use the present perfect in the way we discussed.
Do you think I could borrow your book after you have finished reading it.
I know ( could ) does not affect on the present tense. It is just a way to ask a polite question.
Best wishes to all teachers.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux