- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Exercises/Noun + noun to check

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Page 1 / 2 - Voir la page Haut | 1 | 2 | Fin | En bas
Exercises/Noun + noun to check
Message de bernard02 posté le 25-06-2010 à 03:19:44 (S | E | F)

Bonjour à toutes et à tous,
je dois rendre les exercices suivants pour lundi, pouvez-vous me dire s'ils sont corrects ou s'il y a des corrections et des améliorations à apporter?
Mes réponses sont après les flèches. Je vous remercie d'avance.

Exercises for the twenty-eighth of June 2010.

- What do we call these things and people? Use the structure noun + noun.

Example: 1 A ticket for a concert is …...............
→ A ticket for a concert is a concert ticket.

2 A magazine about computers is …....... → a computer magazine.

3 Photographs taken on you holiday are your …..... → holiday photographs.

4 Chocolate made with milk is …....... → milk chocolate.

5 Somebody whose job is to inspect factories is …..... → a factories inspector.

6 A hotel in central London is …..... → a London central hotel.

7 The results of your examinations are your …........ → examinations results.

8 The carpet in the dining room is …..... → the dining room carpet.

9 A scandal involving a football club is …........ → a football club scandal.

10 A question that has two parts is …..... → a two-part question.

11A girl who is seven years old is …........ → a seven-year-old girl.

Write the correct word for each picture. Each word has two parts and these are given above the pictures. In 1a for example, you must decide whether the word is boathouse or houseboat.
boat/house horse/race card/phone

(picture 1a: péniche aménagée pour y vivre) → It's a houseboat.

(1b: un garage à bateau) → It's a boathouse.

(2a: un cheval de course) → It's a race horse.

(2b: une course de chevaux) → It's a horse race.

(3a: un téléphone à carte) → It's a card phone.

(3b: une carte téléphonique) → It's a phone card.

Answer the questions using two of the following words each time:
accident belt card credit editor forecast newspaper number road room seat shop weather window

Example: 1 This can be caused by a bad driving. → A road accident.

2 If you're staying at a hotel, you need to remember this. Your …................ → room number.

3 You should wear this when you're in a car. A …........... → seat belt.

4 You can sometimes use this to pay for things instead of cash. A …........ → credit card.

5 If you want to know if it's going to rain, you can read or listen to this. The …......... → weather forecast.

6 This person is a top journalist. A …......... → newspaper editor.

7 You might stop to look in this when you're walking along a street. A …......... → shop window.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 25-06-2010 15:25
titre

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de bernard02, postée le 25-06-2010 à 03:21:02 (S | E)
SUITE ET FIN :

Complete the sentences using one of the following:
15 minute(s) 60 minute(s) two hour(s) five day(s) two year(s) 500 year(s) six mile(s) 20 pound(s) five course(s) ten page(s) 450 page(s)
Sometimes you need the singular (day/page etc.) and sometimes the plural (days/pages etc.).

Examples: 1 It's quite a long book. → There are........ → It's quite a long book. There are 450 pages.
2 A few days ago I received a …......... letter from Julia. → A few days ago I received a ten-page letter from Julia.

3 I didn't have any change. I only had a …...... note. → I didn't have any change. I only had a twenty-pound note.

4 At work in the morning. I usually have a …......... break for coffee. → At work in the morning. I usually have a fifteen-minute break for coffee. →

5 There are …............ in an hour. → There are sixty minutes in an hour.

6 It's only a …......... flight from London to Madrid. → it's only a two-hour flight from London to Madrid.

7 It was a big meal. There were …..... → it was a big meal. There were five courses.

8 Mary has just started a new job. She's got a …............. contract. → Mary has just started a new job. She's got a two-year contract.

9 The oldest building in the city is the …....... old castle. → The oldest building in the city is the five hundred-year old castle.

10 I work ….......... a week. Saturday and sunday are free. → I work five days a week. Saturday and sunday are free.

11 We went for a …........ walk in the country. → we went for a six-mile walk in the country.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de notrepere, postée le 25-06-2010 à 06:09:08 (S | E)
Hello Bernard. Bon travail!

First exercise, #5, #6 and #7.

#5 and #7 A clue to the error lies with several of the other examples. For instance, #2. A magazine about computers is a computer magazine. What is difference between the first and second form of the word?

#6 Order of words. In which part of London do you live? I live in _____ London.

The rest looks OK to me. (Gerondif, Lucile, May et all please verify since I was wrong last time and Bernard probably doesn't trust me.)

P.S. I wish I could get a job with a 500-year contract. These days, it's more like 5 days, if that!

P.P.S. Did you copy this correctly? This can be caused by a bad driving.

In American English, we would say "This can be caused by bad driving" without the 'a'. Maybe it's just a British English peculiarity.

P.P.P.S. I see you are learning English AND Spanish at the same time! Vous êtes très courageux!

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 25-06-2010 à 15:22:21 (S | E)
Hello,

Notrepere is quite right and I agree with him You can rely on him anyway to correct your exercises

5 Somebody whose job is to inspect factories is …..... → a factories inspector.

7 The results of your examinations are your …........ → examinations results.

+ typing mistake
10 I work ….......... a week. Saturday and sunday are free. → I work five days a week. Saturday and sunday are free.

** notrepere, a 500-year contract!!! when are you supposed to retire?

** bernard: very good work ! the rest is ok to me.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de notrepere, postée le 25-06-2010 à 15:26:55 (S | E)
Hello Lucile. I meant to say a 500-year contract with a retirement clause.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 25-06-2010 à 15:31:32 (S | E)
then ! together with a 8-week holiday clause! isn't it gorgeous?

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de bernard02, postée le 25-06-2010 à 15:52:57 (S | E)
Hello,

In the example 1 of the exercise 1, it's written that a ticket for a concert is a concert ticket (the first and principal noun in the first form becomes the second noun in the second form), so that I've written "a computer magazine" for a magazine about computers (in the first form). Of course, there mustn't be any difference of signification between the two forms. The exercise is made for that.
I don't find or I don't understand my mistakes in the 5, 6, and 7 (exercise 1). Could you tell me a little more about these? I'm sorry for the accident, I haven't copied well the example, it's written "This can be caused by bad driving" (without A ).

Lucile: the points you've put in pink are my answers. Does it mean they are right or does it mean they are wrong? If they are wrong, I don't understand more than before and above !

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de gerondif, postée le 25-06-2010 à 15:57:52 (S | E)
Bonjour,
rien à signaler à part l'oubli d'un grand nombre de tirets sur les noms composés...

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de bernard02, postée le 25-06-2010 à 16:08:23 (S | E)
Bonjour gerondif,

il y a donc plein de fautes (un grand nombre de tirets oubliés) ?

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 25-06-2010 à 16:15:08 (S | E)
Hello bernard,

When a word is pink that means it's wrong.

You wrote:
2 A magazine about computers is …....... → a computer magazine. which is right.

Why do you change from singular into plural in questions 5 and 7?
In question 6 you must watch the words word order.

** gerondif, pouvez-vous donner les mots composés où il manque des tirets; j'ai peut-être lu trop vite mais je n'en ai pas vu. Ce serait cool

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 27-06-2010 10:40
Heureusement que lamy veille discrétement et modestement au grain; j'ai rectifié ce vilain 's' à 'word', et j'ai laissé sans tiret.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de gerondif, postée le 25-06-2010 à 16:27:08 (S | E)
Bonjour,
sauf erreur de ma part, un mot composé est relié par un tiret, ou alors il s'attache:
a class-room/ a classroom,
donc je mettrais des tirets à dining-room, race-horse, horse-race,card-phone, phone-card,room-number,seat-belt, shop-window (shopwindow)etc.... en particulier chaque fois que le nom rendu adjectival a été rendu invariable par la structure:
a box for letters is a letter-box.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 25-06-2010 à 17:03:00 (S | E)
Hello gerondif,

Le problème c'est que l'on peut écrire la plupart des mots composés avec ou sans tiret.
Exemple:
Principal Translations/Principales traductions
dining room salle à manger nf
Report an error
Compound Forms/Formes composées
dining-room salle à manger nf
Report an error

from Lien Internet

Mais non ce n'est pas casse-tête

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de gerondif, postée le 25-06-2010 à 17:10:35 (S | E)
Dans ce cas, mon Berland Delépine modèle 1974 est obsolète et, 'trop dégouté' comme diraient les élèves, je cours me jeter à l'eau !

Après les heures de colle, les vers...

Oh rage! Oh désespoir! Oh grammaire ennemie,
N'ai-je donc tant vécu que pour cette infamie?
Et n'ai-je toutes ces règles tant de fois énoncé,
Que pour voir en un post Lucile tout démonter !!!

En fait, j'avais un doute sur des mots plus vagues comme computer magazine, et cela explique alors pourquoi je trouve par exemple dark blue sans tiret...

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 25-06-2010 à 17:21:36 (S | E)
1974...il a fait son temps en effet

Mais restez avec nous, l'eau est encore un peu froide

Oh que ces vers sont bien dits !
Il faut que cela soit dit.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de notrepere, postée le 25-06-2010 à 17:51:41 (S | E)
Hello! Oh dear, more controversy. Bernard, your exercises are just too controversial. I wasn't even paying attention to the hyphens, I will admit. But Gerondif is correct to question some of them. See here:

Compound modifiers are groups of two or more words that jointly modify the meaning of another word. When a compound modifier other than an adverb–adjective combination appears before a term, the compound modifier is often hyphenated to prevent misunderstanding, such as in American-football player or real-world example. Without the hyphen, there is potential confusion about whether American applies to football or player, or whether the author might perhaps be referring to a "world example" that is "real". Compound modifiers can extend to three or more words, as in ice-cream-flavored candy, and can be adverbial as well as adjectival (spine-tinglingly frightening). However, if the compound is a familiar one, it is usually unhyphenated. For example, high school students, not high-school students.[4]

Here's a prime example: It helps to differentiate a dirty-movie theater from a dirty movie-theater.

Lien Internet

Lien Internet

This seems to indicate that some compound words should be hyphenated to avoid confusion. My "opinion" is that the following words could use hyphens. All of the other hyphens in your example "look" OK to me and appear to be correct.

dining-room carpet (However, dining room is common so would it cause confusion? Who would say a dining room-carpet?)
football-club scandal (As opposed to a football club-scandal, whatever that might be.)

When Hyphens Are Not Needed

By convention, hyphens are not used in words ending in -ly, nor when the words are so commonly used in combination that no ambiguity results. In these examples, no hyphens are needed

Lien Internet

Bernard, forget everything I said and listen to Lucile and Gerondif. They know many of the actual rules better than I do because they actually teach English. I forgot most of the rules long ago and just go by standard everyday spoken and written convention when I can't find the answer on the internet.

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 25-06-2010 18:20

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 25-06-2010 à 18:32:02 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,

You may not remember some grammatical rules but your answers are highly appreciated because you can tell the instinctive way natives would speak while we are trying to explain the rules.

That makes a team in which everyone uses their qualities, doesn't it?

Best wishes!

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de notrepere, postée le 26-06-2010 à 03:48:16 (S | E)
Hello Bernard. I have some additional corrections based on some new research.

#9 final exercise:

Your answer: The oldest building in the city is the five hundred-year old castle.

Correction: The oldest building in the city is the five-hundred-year-old castle.

With hyphens between five-hundred-year-old which is considered an "adjectival phrase".

Otherwise, this could be interpreted as 5 hundred-year "old" castles.

Here is the supporting evidence:

"Hyphens are used to connect numbers and words in forming adjectival phrases (particularly with weights and measures), whether using numerals or words for the numbers, as in 28-year-old woman and twenty-eight-year-old woman or 320-foot wingspan." Lien Internet

Also: (2a: un cheval de course) → It's a race horse.

This is more commonly spelled spelt as one word in the U.S.

racehorse

Reverso.net only has this one spelling, although I think 'race horse' is considered an acceptable variant spelling: Lien Internet

Others please verify.

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 26-06-2010 03:50

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 26-06-2010 à 08:12:07 (S | E)
Hello,

That's right: The oldest building in the city is the five-hundred-year-old castle.

Concerning horses...

6 horse race ,the races , an occasion when horse races are held
at the races
We spent a day at the races.

+

race‧horse [countable]
a horse specially bred and trained for racing

both from Lien Internet

When I searched horserace in one word I got this page from the same dictionary:

Do you mean:
horse race
horse-race

Conclusion :
2 possibilities for horse race/horse-race
1 possibility for race-horse

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de may, postée le 26-06-2010 à 15:23:22 (S | E)
Bonjour bernard02,

Nothing left for me . It's perfectly done except one tiny thing I may add:

The word central. Should it be capitalized?

As Lucile already corrected In question 6 you must watch the words word order., then it would be capitalized at the same time, wouldn't it?

Still need your confirmation, Lucile and the others ( it sounds like the others in the television series Lost )

-------------------
Modifié par may le 27-06-2010 16:58

Obviously, I am more horrible , I corrected my post accordingly! grrrrrrr.Very sorry, lucile

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 27-06-2010 18:23
obviously nobody cared about that 's' .

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 26-06-2010 à 15:44:59 (S | E)
Bonjour may,

Je n'ai pour ma part pas rectifié 'central London' au niveau de la majuscule pour 'central' car ce n'est pas un quartier de Londres comme Chelsea,Whitehall etc...c'est juste une référence au centre de Londres, donc pas de majuscule.

Mais on le trouve parfois avec une majuscule:
Census
The 1901 census defined Central London as the City of London and the metropolitan boroughs of Bermondsey, Bethnal Green, Finsbury, Holborn, Shoreditch, Southwark, Stepney, St Marylebone and Westminster.

from Lien Internet

J'espère que bernard02 s'y retrouvera dans le dédale de nos discussions

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de may, postée le 26-06-2010 à 16:31:10 (S | E)

Bonjour Lucile,

Je vous remercie de votre réponse immédiate! J'ai trouvé d'ici:

Hotel in Downtown Montréal ======= Downtown Montréal Hotel.

Cependant, votre référence sera toujours meilleur pour consulter.

Best regards,

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 26-06-2010 à 16:40:56 (S | E)
Hi,

Je précise que dans la 6
A hotel in central London is : -> a central London hotel.

central étant adjectif il doit se placer avant.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de notrepere, postée le 26-06-2010 à 18:14:42 (S | E)
Hello! Lucile vous avez raison. 'central' is an adjective in this case so it should be lowercase: central London hotel.

However, if the name of the hotel was "The Central London Hotel", that would be different! Or if we were talking about a hotel that is located in "London Central" that would also be different. Although it is possible that a central London hotel could also be a London Central hotel located in the center of central London but in defence of the West.

How silly I am today.

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 26-06-2010 18:15

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 26-06-2010 à 18:21:59 (S | E)
That's an excellent explanation !

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lamy, postée le 26-06-2010 à 23:51:48 (S | E)
Bonjour notrepere, gerondif et lucile

Vous détaillez un chapitre pointu et assez confus. Personnellement, je ne tranche jamais de façon catégorique sur le fait qu’il faut un tiret ou pas. Les dictionnaires n’orthographient pas de la même façon non plus.

Je me suis replongée dans mon Zandvoort, A Handbook of English Grammar et je trouve ceci :

‘The stem of an English noun may be used attributively, no matter whether one or more specimens are meant. This applies to groups of two separate nouns as well as to compounds; the border-line between the two types is often difficult to draw. This also appears from the spelling, the same collocation being sometimes written as two separate words ((head master), sometimes with a hyphen (head-master), sometimes as a single word (headmaster). In the majority of cases usage is fairly settled; thus always boy scout but bookcase’ .

Par contre, pour la phrase de lucile 'the words order', ma grammaire l’orthographie : ‘word-order’ sans S final (que personnellement j’écris sans tiret).

Pour ce chapitre, elle dit ceci :
‘There is a tendency for words usually taking a plural suffix to keep the suffix in attributive position. Thus always an alms-house, an arms depot, a bellows-mender, the Forces programme, a gallows-bird, a goods-train, a savings-bank.

Usage is divided in cases like Trades Union(s) beside Trade Union(s); profits-tax and profit tax; scissors-grinder by the side of the more usual scissor-grinder; trousers-pocket by the side of trouser-pocket, customs duties by the side of the Custom-house.

Modestement

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 27-06-2010 12:30
J'ai rectifié cet horrible 's'; voir mon post du 25-06-2010 à 16:15:08

-------------------
Modifié par lamy le 27-06-2010 22:15

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de bernard02, postée le 27-06-2010 à 19:06:35 (S | E)
Bonjour à toutes et à tous,
je vous remercie pour vos nombreuses réponses. Je pense que je vais rendre les versions suivantes. Pouvez-vous me dire si chaque forme retenue est correcte (peu importe s'il existe une autre forme correcte ), ou s'il y a encore des rectifications à faire ( y compris si les tirets sont obligatoires ) ?
- What do we call these things and people? Use the structure noun + noun.
2 A magazine about computers is a computer magazine.
3 Photographs taken on you holiday are your holiday photographs.
4 Chocolate made with milk is milk chocolate.
5 Somebody whose job is to inspect factories is a factories inspector.
6 A hotel in central London is a central London hotel.
7 The results of your examinations are your examinations results.
8 The carpet in the dining room is the dining-room carpet.
9 A scandal involving a football club is a football-club scandal.
10 A question that has two parts is a two-part question.
11A girl who is seven years old is a seven-year-old girl.
=> one hyphen in the 8, 9, 10, and two in the 11, without s.
Write the correct word for each picture. Each word has two parts and these are given above the pictures. In 1a for example, you must decide whether the word is boathouse or houseboat.
boat/house horse/race card/phone
(picture 1a: péniche aménagée pour y vivre) → It's a houseboat.
(1b: un garage à bateau) → It's a boathouse.
(2a: un cheval de course) → It's a race-horse.
(2b: une course de chevaux) → It's a horse-race.
(3a: un téléphone à carte) → It's a card phone.
(3b: une carte téléphonique) → It's a phone card.
Answer the questions using two of the following words each time:
accident belt card credit editor forecast newspaper number road room seat shop weather window
2 If you're staying at a hotel, you need to remember this. Your room number.
3 You should wear this when you're in a car. A seat belt.
4 You can sometimes use this to pay for things instead of cash. A credit card.
5 If you want to know if it's going to rain, you can read or listen to this. The weather forecast.
6 This person is a top journalist. A newspaper editor.
7 You might stop to look in this when you're walking along a street. A shop window.
Complete the sentences using one of the following:
15 minute(s) 60 minute(s) two hour(s) five day(s) two year(s) 500 year(s) six mile(s) 20 pound(s) five course(s) ten page(s) 450 page(s)
Sometimes you need the singular (day/page etc.) and sometimes the plural (days/pages etc.).
3 I didn't have any change. I only had a twenty-pound note.
4 At work in the morning. I usually have a fifteen-minute break for coffee.
5 There are sixty minutes in an hour.
6 It's only a two-hour flight from London to Madrid.
7 It was a big meal. There were five courses.
8 Mary has just started a new job. She's got a two-year contract.
9 The oldest building in the city is the five-hundred-year-old castle.
10 I work five days a week. Saturday and Sunday are free.
11 We went for a six-mile walk in the country.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 27-06-2010 à 20:36:01 (S | E)
Hello,
Here are 2 sentences which contain an error, in red.
You should use the singular instead.
The rest is ok to me.
Good work ! sorry for being so talkative, all of us!

5 Somebody whose job is to inspect factories is a factories inspector.

7 The results of your examinations are your examinations results.

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de bernard02, postée le 27-06-2010 à 20:47:28 (S | E)
Hello Lucile,

but if I use the singular in 5 and 7, isn't necessary to put an hyphen?

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de gerondif, postée le 27-06-2010 à 21:29:35 (S | E)
Bonsoir,
le premier élément d'un nom composé passe au singulier, sauf si c'est un de ces mots apparemment pluriel mais avec un sens collectif et suivi d'un verbe au singulier, ou un mot toujours pluriel.

a factory inspector. examination results.(je résiste à la tentation de leur coller un tiret...)

the news is good / a newspaper.
a goods train

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lucile83, postée le 27-06-2010 à 22:06:07 (S | E)
Hello bernard,

Les mots factories et examinations sont au pluriel dans votre texte du 27-06-2010 à 19:06:35, non?? alors qu'ils doivent être au singulier comme gerondif vient de dire d'ailleurs:

factory inspector
examination results

Quant aux tirets on les oublie ici ils ne sont pas systématiques... ni obsessionnels

Réponse: Exercises/Noun + noun to check de lamy, postée le 27-06-2010 à 22:14:53 (S | E)
Bonsoir à tous

« Veiller au grain », c’est me faire beaucoup d’honneur lucile. Merci. Et justement ce S final me choque pour les mêmes raisons dans les phrases 5 et 7 de bernard02.

J’écrirais donc (comme notrepere l’a fait remarquer dans son 1er post) et sans tiret:
5 A factory inspector
7 your examination results.

Pour la dernière partie de l’exercice, j’ai encore quelques doutes avec certains noms. Je vérifie et je rajoute un post dès que j’ai trouvé.

Modestement

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais
Page 1 / 2 - Voir la page Haut | 1 | 2 | Fin | En bas

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux