Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

I don't remember/v-ing

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

I don't remember/v-ing
Message de asafie posté le 30-06-2017 à 18:14:44 (S | E | F)
Bonjour,
pourriez-vous s'il vous plait m'aider à traduire en anglais cette phrase : Je ne me souviens pas l'avoir éteint (le PC).
*I don't remember having switched it off
*I dont remember switching it off
*I don't remember switched it off
Merci d'avance pour votre aide.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 30-06-2017 19:59

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de gerondif, postée le 30-06-2017 à 18:34:35 (S | E)
Bonjour
La deuxième est correcte. Switching.

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de asafie, postée le 30-06-2017 à 19:04:29 (S | E)
Merci! Et quant à la première ? Elle est plus soutenue mais fonctionne, non ?

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de dsmith, postée le 01-07-2017 à 01:20:42 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Oui les deux premières phrases marchent.
The second has a typographical error "dont" -> don't
Both the first and second sentences are correct English, meaning essentially the same thing.
Regards,
Douglas

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de gerondif, postée le 01-07-2017 à 12:39:51 (S | E)
Bonjour,
oui, les deux premières ont le même sens si on veut. Il me semble qu'on apprenait que pour traduire:
Je ne me souviens pas l'avoir éteint (le PC).
*I don't remember having switched it off était une traduction trop littérale, trop proche de la structure française et qu'on tombait en quelque sorte dans un piège par rapport à:
*I don't remember switching it off. qui était considéré comme la bonne réponse

Un peu comme pour:
Merci de m'avoir aidé: Thank you for helping me.

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de lucile83, postée le 01-07-2017 à 16:49:53 (S | E)
Hello,
In my opinion it is quite clear because of the meaning of the verb 'remember'.
I remember doing something refers to the past of course; why should I say having done?

I don't remember switching it off is quite correct.
Perhaps having switched it off is typically ?

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de dsmith, postée le 02-07-2017 à 01:27:22 (S | E)
Hello,
Typically people including myself would use the most simple form. That would suggest the second version. But as you well know there is often more than one way to say the same thing in English (and in other languages too). If someone chose to say it the first way it isn't wrong and it wouldn't sound strange to my ear. The meaning comes through and it is grammatically correct.
I don't believe it would be more American to say it the first way but I'm not an expert in British English so I can't be sure.
As for whether a test maker would choose one over the other to designate as the correct answer...that is another issue altogether. I personally believe both of the first two sentences are a proper translation of the French sentence that was given.
Have a good day!

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de lucile83, postée le 02-07-2017 à 09:26:52 (S | E)
Hello
I didn't think 'having switched' was wrong, I said it was too wordy in fact.

It is possible to say, "After having gone...," but most people would simply use "After going..."
Well, in your example, "remember" works just like "after": it makes it clear that the verb should be past-tense. So to remember doing something = to remember having done something = to remember that you did something. If you wanted to make the verb future/present-tense, you would not use the -ing gerund/participle; instead, you would say to remember to do something (future) or to remember that you are doing something.

Lien internet

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de here4u, postée le 02-07-2017 à 13:05:22 (S | E)
Hello,

After looking through (and definitely not "having looked through" ) your different interventions, I will simply add that I was taught (in British English, both in my family and at school and University later) that in this construction, "after induced the anteriority of the action" (just as "hardly" induces a partly negative statement"). Therefore, -I was told-, the use of "after+ having+ past participle" was redundant, and not "correct" or recommended.

Here, I'm speaking about and know that much can be said and accepted without a cringe.
Yet I don't at all understand why such remarks as "Italian, however, prefers the past tense" should interfere in the British construction, unless we speak about "an error induced by contagion", if I may say...) , a way to undertand why this construction is often used.
When correcting exams, I'd accept "after having switched", underlining it, but understanding variations and "progress" (or simplifications) of the language, though not approving of them.

Réponse : I don't remember/v-ing de lucile83, postée le 02-07-2017 à 13:20:24 (S | E)
Hello,
I didn't take account of the sentences in Italian, which appear in the link, but not in the paragraph I reproduced.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux