Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Passive /verb tense

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Passive /verb tense
Message de siren12 posté le 06-07-2015 à 06:33:25 (S | E | F)
Hello everyone.
When I have to use the passive form, I often doubt about the verb tense between the Past ant the Present Perfect.
For example:
1 The car was repaired.
2 The car has been repaired.
What form is widely used?
Thanks a lot for your help.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 06-07-2015 07:28

Réponse: Passive /verb tense de here4u, postée le 06-07-2015 à 07:42:02 (S | E)
Hello siren!
Passive or not passive ( active) isn't the question! You 'simply' have to follow the context, as the use of the different tenses ( and modes) is the same in the passive form as in the active one !
The car was repaired last week and cost me a fortune...( action appartenant au passé révolu)
The car has been repaired several times ; it' s as good as new... ( bilan d'actions)
Hope it helped!

Réponse: Passive /verb tense de siren12, postée le 06-07-2015 à 23:30:34 (S | E)
Hello Here4u
Thanks for your prompt reply.
In response to an email, most of the time the answers are short.
You want to know if you may come to the garage and have your car repaired. I'm interested in the result of the action, so I'll choose the second sentence.
I noticed that the Americans often use the first sentence, in the same situation.
My email was about a very recent leak, and I got this U.S reply : 'the leak was fixed'
Is there a different grammar rule in the U.S. and the U.K?
Thanks again for that precision and have a nice evening.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 06-07-2015 23:32

Réponse: Passive /verb tense de here4u, postée le 07-07-2015 à 10:33:22 (S | E)
Hello !
yes, siren, and have some differences, and you pointed out one of the most important ones ... you have to know the rules, the differences, understand both options and make your choice... That's what life is, isn't it?

Réponse: Passive /verb tense de siren12, postée le 09-07-2015 à 07:25:54 (S | E)
Good morning Here4u
As always your response is accurate and effective. No one before you, had also clearly answered. It is true that the American English simplifies everything. It's a shame I had come to understand this rule in British English.
Thanks again.

Réponse: Passive /verb tense de traviskidd, postée le 09-07-2015 à 13:14:35 (S | E)
Hello, it's not really a difference in the rule, but merely a difference in the strictness of adherence to it. In the US, as long as it doesn't lead to an ambiguity, the simple past can be used in place of the present perfect because it's...simpler. See you.

Réponse: Passive /verb tense de siren12, postée le 09-07-2015 à 16:23:31 (S | E)
Hello Traviskidd,
I really thank you for your interesting response.
If it's just a simplification of the rule, I'll keep on using the present perfect, like the example above, when I am in the U.S.
I was always afraid to make a mistake.

Réponse: Passive /verb tense de here4u, postée le 10-07-2015 à 08:52:12 (S | E)
Hello traviskidd,
Hum hum... You're here saying bluntly that Americans are lazy ... picking what's easier and simpler... I don't think I like this explanation!
Have a good weekend!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux