Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

By ou until / By the time

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

By ou until / By the time
Message de bernard02 posté le 05-02-2013 à 21:29:15 (S | E | F)
Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

pouvez-vous me dire, s'il vous plaît, si mes exercices suivants sont corrects ou s'il y a des modifications ou des améliorations à apporter?
Cordialement et merci d'avance.

Exercises for Monday, 11th February 2013.
A Make sentences with by.
Example:
1 I have to be at home not later than 5 o'clock. I have to be at home by 5 o'clock.

2 I have to be at the airport not later than 10.30. I have to be at the airport ...............
My answer: I have to be at the airport not later than 10.30. I have to be at the airport by 10.30.
Correction course:

3 Let me know not later than Saturday whether you can come to the party. Let me know .........
My answer: Let me know not later than Saturday whether you can come to the party. Let me know by Saturday whether you can come to the party.
Correction course:

4 Please make sure that you're here not later than 2 o'clock. Please .................
My answer: Please make sure that you're here not later than 2 o'clock. Please make sure that you're here by 2 o'clock.

5 If we leave now, we should arrive not later than lunchtime. .....................
My answer: If we leave now, we should arrive not later by lunchtime.
Correction course:

B Put in by or until.
Examples:
1 Fred has gone away. He'll be away .... until ... Monday.
2 Sorry, but I must go. I have to be at home ...... by ..... 5 o'clock.

3 I've been offered a job. I haven't decided yet whether to accept it or not. I have to decide ............. Thursday.
My answer: I've been offered a job. I haven't decided yet whether to accept it or not. I have to decide by Thursday.
Correction course:

4 I think I'll wait ............... Thursday before making a decision.
My answer: I think I'll wait until Thursday before making a decision.
Correction course:

5 It's too late to go shopping. The shops are only open .............. 5.30. They'll be closed .......... now.
My answer: It's too late to go shopping. The shops are only open until 5.30. They'll be closed by now.
Correction course:

6 I'd better pay the phone bill. It has to be paid ............. tomorrow.
My answer: I'd better pay the phone bill. It has to be paid by tomorrow.
Correction course:

7 Don't pay the bill today. Wait ........... tomorrow.
My answer: Don't pay the bill today. Wait until tomorrow.
Correction course:

8 a: Have you finished redecorating your house?
b: Not yet. We hope to finish ......... the end of the week.
My answer: a: Have you finished redecorating your house?
b: Not yet. We hope to finish by the end of the week.
Correction course:

9 a: I'm going out now. I'll be back at 4.30. Will you still be there?
b: I don't think so. I'll probably have gone out .......... then.
My answer: a: I'm going out now. I'll be back at 4.30. Will you still be there?
b: I don't think so. I'll probably have gone out by then.
Correction course:

10 I'm moving into my new flat next week. I'm staying with a friend ............ then.
My answer: I'm moving into my new flat next week. I'm staying with a friend until then.
Correction course:

11 I've got a lot of work to do. .............. the time I finish, it will be time to go to bed.
My answer: I've got a lot of work to do. By the time I finish, it will be time to go to bed.
Correction course:

12 If you want to do the exam, you should enter ........... 3 April.
My answer: If you want to do the exam, you should enter by 3 April.
Correction course:

C Use your own ideas to complete these sentences. Use by or until.
Examples:
1 Fred is away at the moment. He'll be away .... until Monday.
2 Fred is away at the moment. He'll be back ..... by Monday.

3 I'm just going out. I won't be very long. Wait here .................
My answer: I'm just going out. I won't be very long. Wait here until I come back.
Correction course:

4 I'm going shopping. It's 4.30 now. I won't be very long. I'll be back .............
My answer: I'm going shopping. It's 4.30 now. I won't be very long. I'll be back by 5.30.
Correction course:

5 If you want to apply for the job, your application must be received ...........
My answer: If you want to apply for the job, your application must be received by next week.
Correction course:

6 Last night I watched TV .............
My answer: Last night I watched TV until midnight.
Correction course:

D Read the sentences and complete the sentences using By the time...
Example:
1 Jane was invited to a party but she got there much later than she intended.
... By the time she got to the party ..., most of the other guests had gone.

2 I had to catch a train but it took me longer than expected to get to the station.
................., my train had already gone.
My answer: I had to catch a train but it took me longer than expected to get the station.
By the time I got to the station, my train had already gone.
Correction course:

3 I saw two men who looked as if they were trying to steal a car. I called the police but it was some time before they arrived, ...................., the two men had disappeared.
My answer: I saw two men who looked as if they were trying to steal a car. I called the police but it was some time before they arrived, by the time the police arrived, the two men had disappeared.
Correction course:

4 A man escaped from prison last night. It was a long time before the guards discovered what had happened. ................., the escaped prisoner was miles away.
My answer: A man escaped from prison last night. It was a long time before the guards discovered what had happened. By the time the guards discovered what had happened, the escaped prisoner was miles away.
Correction course:

5 I intended to go shopping after finishing my work. But I finished my work much later than expected. ....................., it was too late to go shopping.
My answer: I intended to go shopping after finishing my work. But I finished my work much later than expected. By the time I finished my work, it was too late to go shopping.
Correction course.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 05-02-2013 21:55

Réponse: By ou until / By the time de notrepere, postée le 06-02-2013 à 03:44:10 (S | E)
Bonjour

A5 faute d'inattention
C3 Moi-même, je dirais 'until I return'.

Réponse: By ou until / By the time de bernard02, postée le 07-02-2013 à 20:28:56 (S | E)
Bonjour notrepere, et

"A5 faute d'inattention
C3 Moi-même, je dirais 'until I return'."

D'accord pour la C3, mais je ne vois pas où est la faute d'inattention dans la A5.

Cordialement.

Réponse: By ou until / By the time de bluestar, postée le 07-02-2013 à 22:53:24 (S | E)
Bon soir..

A5..If we leave now, we should arrive not later by lunchtime

Réponse: By ou until / By the time de notrepere, postée le 07-02-2013 à 23:24:47 (S | E)
That would be the very one.

Réponse: By ou until / By the time de bernard02, postée le 08-02-2013 à 02:59:53 (S | E)
Bonjour et merci,

A5: If we leave now, we should arrive by lunchtime.
C3: I'm just going out. I won't be very long. Wait here until I return.

Est-ce correct maintenant?

Cordialement.

Réponse: By ou until / By the time de bernard02, postée le 22-02-2013 à 21:37:20 (S | E)
Bonjour, pour votre information, ces exercices ont été rendus et corrigés, le zéro faute a été confirmé !

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux