Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

IELTS exam/aide

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais : Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

IELTS exam/aide
Message de kevin posté le 01-07-2020 à 09:09:55 (S | E | F)
Good morning everyone !
I learnt this past week a few vocabulary useful in an academic context and some phrasal verbs, let's try to use it correctly ! I'll put new points in italics and points of wondering in bold.
My IELTS exam will take place in four months. I came across a great book dropping by a book store. It's called "200% IELTS". It helped me finding out about the functioning of the exam. Apparently and from what I've read on the web, it's the toughest international exam in English. I hope I won't have to resit the exam. I've never been afraid of being assessed but in this case, a major part of my future depends on it.

Concerning the Master, most of its courses are compulsory while only some are optional. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the syllabus of several subjects. At least, I know that I'll attend courses of biodiversity at different scales, functioning of natural and anthropized ecosystems, etc. I also know that many periods are lectures which take place in a lecture hall. I'd enjoy having more informations about it, so I'll try to contact teachers and lecturers of the university to know if they're doing some office hours.

Now, I wonder some things writing this text down :
1. Is there a difference between learned/learnt ?
2. I didn't know how to tell "le déroulement de l'examen" so I chose an equivalent with "functioning". Is there a litteral translation of the word "déroulement" ?
3. I'm not sure at all I can use the word "period" this way.
Thank you for reading me. Wish to read you soon.
Kévin.

------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 01-07-2020 22:55
Gris + mise en forme standard

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de kevin, postée le 04-07-2020 à 09:20:04 (S | E)
Good morning everyone !

Anyone to help me ?

------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 04-07-2020 17:15
Gris

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de gerondif, postée le 04-07-2020 à 10:25:10 (S | E)
Hello
mistakes in blue
I learnt this past week a few(some vocabulary, a few new words of vocabulary) vocabulary useful in an academic context and some phrasal verbs, let's try to use it/them correctly ! I'll put new points in italics and points of wondering in bold.(Well, we can't see it)
My IELTS exam will take place in four months. I came across a great book (while)dropping by a book store. It's called "200% IELTS". It helped me finding find out about the functioning of the exam. Apparently and from what I've read on the web, it's the toughest international exam in English. I hope I won't have to resit the exam. I've never been afraid of being assessed but in this case, a major part of my future depends on it.

Concerning the Master, most of its courses are compulsory while only some are optional. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the syllabus of several subjects. At least, I know that I'll attend courses of biodiversity at different scales, functioning of natural and anthropized ecosystems, etc. I also know that many periods are lectures which take place in a lecture hall. I'd enjoy having more informations(information is a collective word, like luggage, advice, news, singular nouns with a plural or collective meaning. If you want only one, think it is like chocolate, break a piece of it : I'd like some information je voudrais des renseignements, I'd like a piece of information, je voudrais un renseignement) ) about it, so I'll try to contact teachers and lecturers of the university to know if they're doing some/any office hours.( some = on sait qu'il y en a . any = on se demande s'il y en a, on ne sait pas)

Now, I wonder some things writing this text down :
1. Is there a difference between learned/learnt ? learnt is the correct irregular form, learned does exist but is more relaxed, except in the adjective learned , pronounced /lnid/ meaning érudit)

2. I didn't know how to tell "le déroulement de l'examen" so I chose an equivalent with "functioning". Is there a litteral translation of the word "déroulement" ?
a double click on déroulement will open a dictionary, I found the smooth running of, so maybe how the exam will run, the running of the exam, how the exam will take place...
3. I'm not sure at all I can use the word "period" this way. a period is a period of teaching at school, what we call une heure de cours.

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de kevin, postée le 04-07-2020 à 10:56:17 (S | E)
Thank you gerondif ! :D

Indeed, I saw that the shaping of the text hasn't been conserved.
I'll try to put words in italic, in bold or in underligned in this message without using "mise en forme avancée", perhaps it'll work !

It's nice to see that I didn't make much mistakes. :D
You taught me some things, thank you. I didn't know neither about the use of "the few/some" nor about the use of the word "information".

Again, as I'm writing this down, I wonder about a new point haha ! Concerning "neither ... nor ...", is it possible or is there a way to put more informations like in French "Ni la pluie, ni le vent, ni la neige, ni le verglas ne l'empêcheront de courir." ? Or maybe even in French I don't use it well ? :o

Thank you for answering my questions too. I didn't know about the dictionnary, what a great functionality ! :D

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de gerondif, postée le 04-07-2020 à 14:40:52 (S | E)
Hello
Indeed, I saw that the shaping of the text hasn't been conserved.
I'll try to put words in italic, in bold or in underligned(underlined) in this message without using "mise en forme avancée", perhaps it'll work !

It's nice to see that I didn't make much mistakes. many + pluriel, much + singulier
You taught me some things, thank you. I didn't know neither (erreur, double négation not et neither : I knew neither this nor that, I didn't know either this or that ) about the use of "the few/some" nor about the use of the word "information".

Again, as I'm writing this down, I wonder about a new point haha ! Concerning "neither ... nor ...", is it possible or is there a way to put more informations(pas de pluriel à ce mot !!) like as in French "Ni la pluie, ni le vent, ni la neige, ni le verglas ne l'empêcheront de courir." ? Or maybe even in French I don't use it well ?

"Ni la pluie, ni le vent, ni la neige, ni le verglas ne l'empêcheront de courir."
Neither the rain, nor the wind, nor the snow, nor black ice will prevent him from running
Nothing will prevent him from running, neither the rain, nor the wind, nor the snow, nor black ice.
He won't be prevented from running either by the rain, or the wind, or the snow or black ice.

Travaillez votre grammaire, vos erreurs ne sont pas loin de la surface. Vous me dites ne jamais avoir su ce que je vous ai indiqué, par rapport au niveau de l'examen visé, il y a lieu de corriger le tir.
par exemple
peu de : I have few friends, I have little money
un peu de : I have a few friends, I have a little money
trop de : I have too many friends, I have too much money
tant de : Don't drink so much beer. Don't eat so many chips.
moins de : I have fewer friends and less money than you.
plus... que + adj : I am richer and more independant than you.
Mais deux fois plus... que : I am twice (three times, four times) as rich and as independent as you.
deux fois moins riche que : I am half as rich as you.

C'est la base. Sur un concours, c'est à savoir.

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de kevin, postée le 04-07-2020 à 16:12:44 (S | E)
Thank you again for your answer !
I spent three years without practising English (I dropped out of university for this time), which doesn't help with grammar. But it's one of the reasons of my presence here !

Some of the mistakes I've made in my second message are due to inattention (underligned, much, informations) but I have difficulties with grammar as you noticed. I'll practise !

------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 04-07-2020 17:17
Practice is a noun; practise is a verb.

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de kevin, postée le 04-07-2020 à 17:53:18 (S | E)
Good afternoon lucile.

The verb "to practise" left me perplexed so I did some research. From what I've found, the two verbs "to practice" and "to practise" are correct but the difference comes down to British versus American spelling. American people would use "to practice" while british people would use "to practise".

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de lucile83, postée le 04-07-2020 à 17:56:30 (S | E)
Yes I know, but here we are working and studying in a site using British English.

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de kevin, postée le 04-07-2020 à 18:07:40 (S | E)
Oh, I didn't know about that !

Well, if you agree, I would like you to mention it when you make a correction due to the differences between American and British English. The reason is that I don't want to think I'm wrong if I wouldn't be in America. I don't want to restrain my learning. I'll have to travel abroad for a semester with the Master and the destination could be America. ^^

Would you please agree ?

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de lucile83, postée le 04-07-2020 à 18:37:52 (S | E)
Hello,
One day a teacher at the University told me not to mix BE and AE. We have to choose between the two and never mix them up.
Here is some help: Lien internet
Lien internet

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de kevin, postée le 05-07-2020 à 10:13:41 (S | E)
Thank you very much !

I think I'm going to focus on British English as it's the one I've been taught for years. Once I have a better level, I'll get interested in the differences between both.

Réponse : IELTS exam/aide de lucile83, postée le 05-07-2020 à 11:59:59 (S | E)
Nice decision ! especially because you'll take an IELTS exam soon.
Good luck!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais : Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux