Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Video/script 2

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Video/script 2
Message de brettdallen posté le 08-05-2019 à 19:02:20 (S | E | F)
Hello again,
I'm posting the second part of a transcription of a video about Victorian workhouses. If you could take a look and tell me what you find wrong (and I know there are passages I'm not sure of) I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.
Brett.
Lien internet

Interviewer : I think I got the hang of this (prendre le coup de main) now. What’s next ?
Frances Collinson : Next is oakum pickin’. Over here.
Interviewer : What’s oakum Des and how do you pick it ?
Des Pawson (rope expert) : Well, to start with you’ve got a bit of rope or cable that you’ve then have to break up right the way down. This is a piece of rope and you’re breaking it down into the strands.
Interviewer : Yeah.
Des Pawson : And then you’ve got the strand and you break it right down into the yarn and then you’ve got to break that yarn down into the actual fibers of the hemp.
Interviewer : So what’s the oakum ? (étoupe : fibre de corde utilisée pour calfater un bateau)
Des Pawson : This, the oakum is the raw fiber, it’s sort of the unmaking of the old rope.
Interviewer : And what’s the point of it ? What happens to this ?
Des Pawson : Because then it goes back to the shipyards and to the vessels where it’s rolled together to form a thin sausage that is then banged into (poser en frappant dessus) the joints in… in the planking (le bordage) to stop it leaking (avoir des fuites).
Interviewer : Who are the people who did this ?
Frances Collinson : Well, able-bodied inmates in the workhouse would have been given this job to do but their fingers used just to bleed at the end of a couple of hours of doing this.
Interviewer : When you first start doin’ this, it’s pretty easy, it’s money for a rope but the more that you have to get your fingers into these tiny clogged-up (ici = tasé), the harder it gets and it just gets cuts in to your fingers and, and your thumbs, and a bit like that which looks like you could do it in no time at all. By the time you’ve pulled it out into its constituent parts there’s just loads and loads and loads of it and if you’d have been having to produce pounds of this stuff a day you’d have had to be going for hour after hour. I suppose the thing about this job is that if you were in a workhouse you had to do it.
Frances Collinson : Yes you did, yes you had to do whatever jobs they gave you. You had no choice in the matter (en la matière).
Interviewer : So, in a way, however awful some of the other jobs were, at least it was your choice but here they took away your dignity.
Frances Collinson : They did indeed, yeah, and some of the jobs they had to do were so bad, like this,. This was given to workhouse inmates to do but they didn’t necessarily give it to prisoners in countries’ jails to do
Des Pawson : You’re not picking very fast.
Interviewer : This is what I was thinking.
Des Pawson : No room for thinking. You don’t come to the workhouse to think, you come to the workhouse to work.
Interviewer : Yeah.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 08-05-2019 22:37

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux