Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Stories/ for young children

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Stories/ for young children
Message de ana24 posté le 07-04-2018 à 15:29:29 (S | E | F)
Bonjour !
Si l'un d'entre vous passe par là pour y jeter un coup d'oeil... Merci beaucoup!
J'essaye de progresser en écrit pour atteindre le niveau C1
Bon weekend

Your class has had a discussion about the importance of stories for young children. You have made the notes below :
Ways in which stories for young children are important
→ entertainment
→ education
→ social values
Write an essay for your tutor discussing two of the ways in which stories for young children are important from your notes. You should explain which way you think is more important, providing reasons for your opinion.

The purpose of this essay is to discuss two of the ways in which stories for young children are important for their developement.
First and foremost, stories have greater power to enchant children’s mind and kindle their imagination. They allow them to escape from their daily routine and dig into fantasy, exotic scenaries or magical landscapes. From wicked queens, goblins, giants, poisoned apples, these fantastic stories for children have travelled across cultural borders and cast a spell over readers. Children sometimes get the chance to witness an extraordinary animal metamorphosis or find themself being the narrator’s confident. These stories, whether they are hilarious scary, or made up with adventures, aim to distract young children and stimulate their imagination to its fullest.
Secondly, beyond the fact that stories are entertaining, they appear to be an interesting resource to teach them social values such as non-discriminative behaviours or politeness and raise awareness about racism and differences among people. In fact, discussing serious topics related to social values from youth litterature seem to be the best way to actively engage children into reflexion and give them the opportunity to reflect on their own social behaviours. For instance, a story which describes a strong friendship between two individuals fundamentally different (in terms of interests, social backgrounds,religions or clothes) could lead the children to rethink the prejudices they may have towards their peers. Plus, some stories highlight the fact that due to our education or the place we have grown up, we do not necessarily see the world through the same eyes. Hence, this is an effective way to discuss about differences and develop empathy and acceptance towards each other.
In my opinion, since stories,myths and tales are a crucial repository of human understanding and culture, they are absolutely necessary to broaden children’s mind and open them up to new horizons. Then, we should take advantage of the fact that stories are entertaining to share social values to children. There is no doubt, in my opinion, that they would be more receptive and these social topics would make more sense to them. I am strongly in favour of establishing philosophical debates from youth litterature in every school and I am convinced that we would all reap a lot of benefit from it.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 07-04-2018 15:55

Réponse : Stories/ for young children de dsmith, postée le 07-04-2018 à 16:43:36 (S | E)
Bonjour,

The purpose of this essay is to discuss two of the ways in which stories for young children are important for their developement.
First and foremost, stories have greater (greater implies a comparison to something...but you don't have that...just say "great") power to enchant children’s mind and kindle their imagination. They allow them to escape from their daily routine and dig into fantasy, exotic scenaries or magical landscapes. From wicked queens, goblins, giants, poisoned apples, these fantastic stories for children have travelled across cultural borders and cast a spell over readers. Children sometimes get the chance to witness an extraordinary animal metamorphosis (this is the noun form - is that what you mean here? the verb form is rarely used) or find themself being the narrator’s confident. These stories, whether they are hilarious virgule scary, or made up with adventures, aim to distract young children and stimulate their imagination to its fullest.
Secondly, beyond the fact that stories are entertaining, they appear to be an interesting resource to teach them social values such as non-discriminative behaviours or politeness and raise awareness about racism and differences among people. In fact, discussing serious topics related to social values from youth litterature seem (faute de conjugaison) to be the best way to actively engage children into ("engage into" n'est pas vraiment usé) reflexion and give them the opportunity to reflect (repetition of reflexion and reflect) on their own social behaviours. For instance, a story which describes a strong friendship between two individuals fundamentally different (in terms of interests, social backgrounds,religions or clothes) could lead the children to rethink the prejudices they may have towards their peers. Plus, some stories highlight the fact that due to our education or the place we have grown up, we do not necessarily see the world through the same eyes. Hence, this is an effective way to discuss about (pas about...just "discuss") differences and develop empathy and acceptance towards each other. (Oui ça marche mais mieux empathy towards and acceptance of each other)
In my opinion, since stories,myths and tales are a crucial repository of human understanding and culture, they are absolutely necessary to broaden children’s mind and open them up to new horizons. Then, we should take advantage of the fact that stories are entertaining to share social values to children. There is no doubt, in my opinion, that they would be more receptive and these social topics would make more sense to them. I am strongly in favour of establishing philosophical debates from youth litterature (faute orthographe) in every school and I am convinced that we would all reap a lot of benefit from it.

I think you should clearly state that teaching social values is the most important purpose of children's literature. The directions say to explain which you think is more important...Maybe I missed it but I didn't see that you found education or teaching social values to be more important.

Bravo! This is advanced English. Very good use of adjectives. Congratulations.

Douglas

Réponse : Stories/ for young children de ana24, postée le 07-04-2018 à 20:25:13 (S | E)
Thanks dsmith!! I really appreciate your help
yes you are right, my opinion is not really clear but at the end,I am going to rewrite that.
Have a good weekend
Ana

Réponse : Stories/ for young children de gerondif, postée le 07-04-2018 à 20:58:04 (S | E)
Bonsoir
je mettrais children's minds au pluriel et the place where we grew up

Réponse : Stories/ for young children de bluestar, postée le 07-04-2018 à 22:39:27 (S | E)
Hello..
The narrators confident....I think confidant(e) is meant here, i.e. someone in whom trust is placed~ a noun not an adjective..
Elsewhere, check spelling of "developement" (one too many es)

Réponse : Stories/ for young children de dsmith, postée le 07-04-2018 à 23:37:25 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Tout à fait d'accord avec gerondif et bluestar! Excellentes suggestions.

Réponse : Stories/ for young children de ana24, postée le 09-04-2018 à 13:15:33 (S | E)
super merci à vous 3
Je n'avais en effet pas du tout penser à la différence entre confidant (noun) and confident (adjective).

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux