Recommandés :
- Traducteurs gratuits
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Future/habit in past

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Future/habit in past
Message from learnhardly posted on 20-07-2017 at 20:03:06 (D | E | F)
Hi
I don't understand the sentences in italics , is he talking about a habit in the past ? or is he talking about the future that he will go on living like that and be able to go on living but he's not sure because he's not with her anymore.

And so I had to try to answer her again exactly what she had asked. And once she lay over against me late at night, and she started talking, her breath in my ear, and she just went on and on and talked faster and faster. She couldn't stop. And I loved it. I just felt that all that life in her was running into me too. I had so little life in me. Her life, her fire was coming into me in that hot breath in my ear. And I just wanted her to go on talking forever right there next to me.

[[ And I would go on living like that. I would be able to go on living but without her . I don't know. ]]Then you forget some of it all, maybe most of it all, almost all of it in the end. And you work hard at remembering everything now so you won't ever forget. But you can kill it too, even by thinking about it too much, though you can't help but thinking about it nearly all the time.

Thanks.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-07-2017 21:43

Re: Future/habit in past from lemagemasque, posted on 20-07-2017 at 20:40:42 (D | E)
Hello!
Would means "used to" here.
See you!

Re: Future/habit in past from learnhardly, posted on 20-07-2017 at 20:51:19 (D | E)
So the meaning here is He used to go on living like that. He used to be able to go on living but He's not sure if he could ( in the past of course ) go on living that way without her.)
[[And I would go on living like that. I would be able to go on living but without her . I don't know.]]
Right ?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-07-2017 21:47
No red on the forum, thank you.

Re: Future/habit in past from learnhardly, posted on 20-07-2017 at 22:15:14 (D | E)
Sorry for the red , and still waiting for confirmation .

Re: Future/habit in past from lucile83, posted on 20-07-2017 at 23:08:55 (D | E)
Yes, right.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de mathématiques 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.

| Partager sur les réseaux